Sunday, July 02, 2006

SECOND MEMORY

Like Marilyn in her glory
an upward draft
catches Mama’s hem
at forty-first and twelfth
raising it in waves
around her knees and over her thighs
a pink-striped dress
dances like the awning
at Lida’s Cantina
when a man at the corner
clutching a boy’s hand
sees Mama naked
under her flying skirt
and I see he sees
wondering why
she doesn’t hold it down
and he sees me see him
winking
before the light turns green.


"Second Memory" by Chella Courington appears in _Permafrost_ (vol. 28, summer 2006), published by the University of Alaska Fairbanks.

2 comments:

r said...

ooo... lovely.

This one feels different from some of your others... can't put my finger on it.

It doesn't sound like the same Mama you've written about before.

Just another facet to her that you've shared with your readers.

Had a great time yesterday!

Brandon said...

Hey Chella, I submitted to Cave Canem....wish me luck!